Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Picture

I was looking at the myspace of some friends of ours who have struggled with infertility throughout their marriage. They are about to have twin girls. There was a picture of them taken on Father's Day, standing on the porch, arm in arm, her eight months pregnant. They look amazing, completely glowing and at peace. There was a comment on the picture that said,

"I wish I could go back in time and show you this picture."

Wouldn't that be amazing? If in the middle of our circumstance we could see a picture of how it's all going to turn out okay, somehow, someway. To know that one day we will stand with the sun on our faces, completely at peace, knowing that a miracle was performed by the Almighty on our behalf.

What an incredible thought.

But would it taint the outcome? Would we be the stronger people that we become in going through our trials? Would we get lazy and not do the work that is required to have our miracle? Would we still cling to the Promises that are on repeat in our head day in and day out if we know the outcome?

Or if we saw that picture, would we even recognize the peaceful faces as being our own? Would we deny the outcome that is ours because of the overwhelming feeling of unworthiness, or would we begin to put our faith in the outcome instead of the Provider?

Jesus,
Help me to trust You and You alone. Keep my focus pure. Be my strength. Hold my hand. I depend on You and lean on Your everlasting promises. I need You...I can't make it on my own. I know I'll see my picture in Your timing, but until then, hold me close....

4 comments:

kdp said...

amen...

marme said...

what a wonderful reflection...

thank you.

hope you had a productive weekend!

Meems said...

Maybe God let you see that to give you some peace. To let you know your sunshine is coming.

beautiful chaos said...

Those words were so powerful! The wisdom of God is in you. So many times, our patience is far exceeded by our desire for something right NOW! But timing is everything, goodness knows, I would never have planned my life out the way it has turned out - but I could not have planned it as perfectly as HE did! You'll have your picture - and it will be for His glory!
This is a long passage - but a great one...

Psalm 139
You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.

All the days ordained for me
were written in your book before one of them came to be.

How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!

Cling to this! His Word is so powerful!