Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Home Alone

Well, it's just me and the dog-child. Dan is at camp.

We left Sunday morning about 8:15 and got into Arlington around noon to do a little shopping. We had our heart set on eating at our favorite place...PF Chang's. Well, I should say one of our favorite places; Cheesecake Factory ranks way on up there as well. By the time we got our shopping done, it was about 2:30, so we figured the rush would have already been over by then. Not so. We also thought that if there was a wait, we could just sit at the bar. Again, not so. The bar was completely full, and there was, like, an hour wait. We did not stay. :( Which kinda ended up being a good thing because as soon as we left Chang's, a huge storm started rolling in. We beat the storm out to Waxahachie, picked up Chicken Express and headed on out to the camp. There for a while there was actually a tornado warning for around Waxahachie. Later on when we went back in to town to go to HEB, we saw a lot of wind damage and some of the roads were flooded. I'm glad my car was faster than that storm!!!

We got Dan settled in his room, then we had dinner with a lot of the crew that was already out there. I left the camp about 7:00 the next morning and headed back to San Angelo to go to work. I didn't want to come home without Dan.

This time is always so bittersweet. We love camp. We have always loved camp. It's where we spent our summers growing up and where we met. It' s where I learned how to get over the fear of singing in front of other people, and where Dan and I were both called into ministry. Some of our strongest friendships were established and developed at camp. So it just makes sense that one of the things that Dan loves to do is be the medic out at the youth camp for the month of July. It makes sense, but I miss him. My world is not the same without him here. I will probably go up there the end of this week or next week, then I will spend the last week of July there during my vacation. So it's not like I won't see him for a whole month, but you know, a half-empty bed every night until then is lonely. :(

Editor's Note: We actually grew up going to Roaring Springs Youth Camp in Roaring Springs, TX, where, by the way, are no roaring springs, just a dried up river bed, after, of course, you've driven 10 miles on a dirt road, over six cattle guards and a rickety weak bridge (affectionately known as "the seven day bridge" because the sign said "Week Bridge"). It is the camp for the West Texas district, which is a far cry from the resort that the North Texas district has, which is where Dan is right now. And if you think I'm exaggerating, ask DeLana. She doesn't lie. Not that I lie, either, I'm just saying...

3 comments:

kj said...

i grew up at roaring springs youth camp and in my opinion, you didn't even give them the worst of it! ;)

marme said...

I can definitely vouch for that, and in the olden days it was even worse than ree remembers! but God met us there, oh yes He did! that may have had something to do with praying the old bus up that last hill!

team D said...

This camp sounds like a close ride to the place where my brother got married. LOL We had to take a covered wagon down to the spot or walk!!! Sorry just reminded me of the story!!