Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Surgery Update

Thank you for your prayers!

Dad's surgery went well. The doctor said it was very much needed, which is the understatement of the century because he's been put off by the VA for this surgery for the last three years. Oh, well, it's done now, and he's doing great!

I'm a lot like my dad...I can take a lot and be pretty patient, but when I've had enough, I've had enough. After the surgery, they gave him a pain pump to operate and use as needed. He had hit the button a few times, but felt no effects of the medicine. He called the nurse to look at the pain pump because he really felt that it wasn't working. He'd waited a while, so by this time, he's hurting pretty badly. The nurse came in and looked at the machine and said it was fine, that Dad just needed to "breathe through" the pain, "like this..." because breathing right would release the medicine to work better in the body. "Come on, hon, take a deep breath, and release it slowly."

Mom said she was trying not to giggle because she knew Dad was about to let her have it. She said she just wanted to tell the lady she better get out while she was ahead cuz she was gonna need those breathing techniques if she didn't stop!

Turns out the pump was working, but they did not have it connected to the right tube! Poor Dad!!!! But I talked to him tonight, and he is doing much better today. They got him up walking on it earlier, so he was tired but sounded in much better spirits!

Thanks for all the prayers!

6 comments:

beautiful chaos said...

Those types of surgeries are never easy - but seriously, they didn't connect the tube? Well, I would agree that he's a patient man. I am glad things went well.

JAC said...

Praise the Lord for the good news that he is doing well. Will continue praying for him AND YOUR MOM!

Meems said...

Prayers are still going out. Glad to hear it went well.

I'll bet that nurse felt pretty badly once she found out the tube wasn't connected.

kablot spot said...

They should have at least looked at it... I remember when my mom had surgery once. I was a junior in high school. She kept saying that the i.v. medicine burned going in her arm and that she was itching all over. Every nurse that came in to refill her antibiotics checked her red armband that said "no penicillin" and hooked up a bag of ampicillin every few hours. She became very sick and they treated her like she was a lunatic. Finally, one of us asked the nurse what "ampicillin" was. She promptly said, "It's penicillin." She had just looked at mom's bracelet. We stood there in horror. They obviously stopped poisoning her at this point...

April said...

Glad to hear things are going well. Both my grandparents in Plains and AJ's dad have had that surgery... we will continue to pray as the healing process begins. The final result depends so much on willpower of the patient, and I know your dad has the determination and strength to tough it out. Keep us posted!

Dawn said...

My Mom is also recuperating from knee replacement surgery. She had hers about 3 weeks ago. It is tough but I am praying for your dad's quick recovery!