Sunday, August 12, 2007

I Have to Share this Story....

Okay, I just read kdp's last blog about "They're never too old to be rocked" and it reminded me of something that happened this week. Here goes...

I met up with my friend, Angela, at General Council. I saw her on Thursday, then she was going to sit with us at the service that evening. Angela and her husband have three children, the youngest being about six weeks old. Their older two did not make the trip with them, but she did have the baby, who is precious, by the way. Her name is Kaeli. They also have a hearbeat for missions, so Todd went to the adult service, and Angela went to the youth service. Her brother is the DYD in West Texas, and all the DYD's were carrying various flags. She wanted to get a picture of Chris with his flag, so I offered to hold Kaeli for her while she went. Everything was fine, no problems, then Angela came back and the preaching began.

She thought she should probably go ahead and go feed her so that she would be done by the time the commissioning began, so she'd be able to take more pictures. She left, then came back in plenty of time. Kaeli was in her stroller, happy as a clam, no problems, so Angela went to take pictures as the commissioning began.

We were sitting on the aisle with the stoller at the end by the stairs. When they began asking kids to come down to the front if they wanted to be campus missionaries, the response was unbelievable. Kids just streamed down from everywhere, which was great and all, but as they came down, the stroller kept getting bumped and shaken, and all that. So, I proceded to get Kaeli out of the stoller to hold her, since I could not move the stoller without blocking the aisle.

She was okay for about a minute, then she started crying.

Then it got louder.

And louder.

By this time, most of the kids were already past, so I put her back in the stroller. She was okay for about five minutes, then she started getting fussy again. So I started rolling the stroller back and forth. She calmed down for another five minutes, then began getting fussy again. During this time, my phone went dead, so I couldn't call Angela. I thought, okay, maybe if I walk around with her it will get better.

I got her out of the stoller again and began walking around. Patting, bouncing, patting, bouncing, talking in an extremely calm, low voice, although I was anything but calm inside, patting, bouncing. She's crying louder. People are staring. I start walking a little faster, patting, bouncing, pleading the poor child to calm down. Okay, now she's screaming, and of course, it's when they start praying. Now people are really staring.

Talking, patting, bouncing. "We're gonna find your mama, Kaeli, we are. Everything's fine as soon as we find your mama."

And fast, because now she's starting to suck on her hand, and there's nothing I can do about THAT!

And screaming.

I just bend my head down and put my mouth close to her head, holding her snug, and say,"Kaeli, I'm gonna find your mama, it's okay, baby."

Five seconds later she is fast asleep. Whew!

So, I'm walking back to our seats and all the people that were staring at me with scowls on their faces are now smiling at me with tilted heads saying, "Awww...."

Jerks.

Angela came back, and it turns out Kaeli had a dirty diaper...oops! Missed that one!

So, that was my baby experience for the week. Just thought I'd share.

4 comments:

JAC said...

You home? Missed you! Know you had a most wonderful time. Welcome back to God's country.

Meems said...

That story sounds all to familiar. I mean with the scowls and then "how sweets". I'm glad you guys had a great trip.

La said...

I didn't know Angela had another baby! We officially met at John's grandpa's funeral last September when Aulora was just about 10 days old. (Of course, John has known the family forever.) If we lived close by, I just know we would be the best of friends. We're both germ freaks and we germ freaks really have to stick together. =)

Welcome home, by the way! Glad someone got to go to Indy. =)

beautiful chaos said...

hey - you are so much more prepared for motherhood than I was!
You're gonna do just fine!
I remember the first time I held my son - not for those warm fuzzy reasons you might think - I felt so inadequate. I wasn't even really sure it should be legal for me to take care of him. As much reading as I had done, no one can teach you how to nuzzle a newborn to your chest the right way.
You have such a strong nurturing spirit about you!
And yes, newborn poop is very elusive...