Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Granny




While we were in Lubbock Friday, we went to the hospital to visit my Granny (dad's mom). She's been hospitalized since January and has been through a horrible ordeal.


Granny will probably never be able to do the same things as she did before, and will not be able to live by herself once she is well enough to leave the hospital. This makes me very sad because she has always been a very independent person. (Hmmm...not sure where I got that from...) She has always loved to shop...hats, purses, and shoes are her downfall.


During our visit at the hospital, I got out my camera to show her pictures of Rosie, as well as pictures of my table from the Mother/Daughter Tea. One of the pictures was of Mikayla Haire, Julia Sullivan, and Bekah Poynor all dressed up in boas, pearls, hats and heels. She got the biggest kick out of seeing those beautiful girls all dressed up. It was wonderful to see her smile.


Over the next week, we will be going back to Lubbock to help my parents, aunt, and uncle pack up Granny and Pa's house. Unfortunately, Pa had to be put in nursing home during this ordeal with Granny. He has dimensia and is no longer able to live without professional care. They will not be able to continue living in their home, so we are in the process of separating their belongings. If you only knew how much stuff they have...


Granny is infamous for keeping everything. She is very meticulous and can fit the most stuff into the smallest space. Not junk, by any means. Treasures. Family pictures, knick knacks sent from overseas when my dad and my aunt were stationed in Germany, and three closets worth of clothes. Did I mention she liked to shop? Not to mention all of her sewing and craft materials. Oh, my, do we have our work cut out for us.


It's neat going through everything, though. We went through some of her family pictures while we were there and were amazed at the impeccable condition these antique photos were in. I mean, impeccable. I love that kind of stuff. I love that she took the time to preserve our history. I love my Granny.

1 comment:

kdp said...

i know how you feel. i loved my grandma so much. she was like my mom. i spent alot of time with her and even lived with her for about a year while i was going to college. no one prepares you for how hard it is to watch your loved ones getting older. it is very difficult. there isn't a week that goes by that i don't think about my father or grandmother.
cherish this time you have together and feel the rich love that passes between family members. there is nothing like family.
love ya,
girl