Friday, December 19, 2008

Debbie Downer at it again...

Sorry...not trying to dampen others' joyous time of the year.

It is a joyous time of the year, no doubt.

Certain situations, however, don't quite make it feel so joyous.

Today is the two year anniversary of the death of Dan's dad. He is missed year 'round, of course, but some times of the year are harder than others. The fact that he passed away this close to Christmas makes this holiday bittersweet.

I think it makes things worse when some family members are not speaking. Back in July, for reasons I won't go into, Dan's brother, his wife and son have chosen not to have any part of the rest of the family. He told Dan's mom that she should just consider him dead because he didn't want anything to do with her ever again.

It's so sad.
It's so hurtful.
It's so unnecessary.

I mean, really?! I don't like confrontation at all. But I also do not like to leave things unresolved. If you ask my mom, she'll tell you that I've always liked to have the last word...I'm not sure if I believe that or not...on the contrary, I know too well how true it is. Seriously, though, can we not figure this out? Can we not agree to disagree? Can we not find some common ground that we can put our differences aside and mourn or celebrate or both together?

Can't we all just get along?????

Sadly, the answer is no.

Not this year anyway.

Clinton, we miss you. We love you. We wish you were here so we could hear your loud, boisterous laugh...see your bold, colorful cowboys shirts you always wore...feel your continuous, unconditional love for your family...witness your unwavering, diligent commitment to the Lord Most High. We will see you again one day, but until that day comes, life is not the same without you.

1 comment:

rhondamarie said...

i'll be praying for you also. christmas can be the best of holidays and the worst all at the same time. just listen to some elvis and you'll feel better. love you