Thursday, September 18, 2008

I feel a change...

By the way, the tunes that are playing are from my walking playlist from my iPod. Just random stuff.

I haven't really said much about this, so consider this my first official post about training for the 10k.

Training.

That's a pretty funny word to me right now. Only because I don't consider myself "training", even though I am, technically. The reason why Dan and I are going to do this is for us. For our family that will be. So even as we are preparing, training if you will, for the 10k, we are establishing a change of life.

Personally, I have always been a big girl. I occasionally make the joke that I was born in a size 16...oh, to be that size again! I'd consider that skinny at this point in life. I've always been picked on and given a hard time about my size in school (the 16 that I would be proud to be now), which has made me very self conscious. But rather than cry about it, I've thought that, well, if people are going to crack jokes, I might as well laugh about it too, and I'd rather go ahead and crack the joke myself and break the ice rather than hear hurtful things that others say. It's okay if I say it...that makes a lot of sense, huh?

Athletics in school scared me to death. I remember one year in jr. high my nerves were so bad I threw up every day before athletics. Every day. I wasn't very coordinated and the biggest girl in my class, so being the last to finish everything, if I was able to finish it at all, or the last one chosen, or whatever was a huge embarassment. I hated it. So in high school, I chose not to put myself in that situation. I fulfilled whatever requirement there was for graduation purposes and that was it.

Now I look back and regret that I didn't push myself harder.

I want to finish this race.

It doesn't matter to me if I finish it running or walking. I just want to finish. I want to prove to myself that I can do it..that I'm not the butt of the joke anymore.

It also helps that there's this certain group of people I know and love who will be there running/walking for their own reasons and that we will all support each other until the end. How great is that?

As far as "training" goes, I've been walking in our complex. The trail I've been taking is right at a mile. That's all I'm doing right now. I'll add more as I go, and I do want to eventually incorporate some running, but that's later on. Right now I'm on a running restriction from when I hurt my foot from falling at work.

Right now, it's just a mile.

1 mile down.

5.2 to go.

6 comments:

April said...

I love you, my already beautiful and incredibly strong friend. Good luck! XO

chronicler said...

You go for it! Big IS beautiful (and you are beautiful). Healthy is even better. Can't wait to hear about the results!

JAC said...

You are a beautiful girl and I love you much. I really miss seeing you and your mostest beautiful smile and hearing you sing.......I miss lots of "stuff" from the two of you!

kablot spot said...

*wink*

As a member of the 'big girl' club, who's experienced some of the same things as you wrote about, I just want you to know I love you. God's done alot in me regarding the way I view myself physically and how it relates to my inside person. Most days I can look in the mirror and see myself as a Big, beautiful woman. Other days I have to borrow God's glasses to see myself that way.

I hope you are able to form some really good habits and that God meets you and runs with you.

Nanna's Place said...

Proud of you that you are doing this for yourself...I miss you. Every mile you walk is step toward a healthier you....you are beautiful just the way you are. Thank you for being you.....

no_iffer said...

I am so very very glad that you are doing this race. I believe, wholeheartedly, that you will finish the race. I can't wait to high five you at the finish line. : )
march 29th is going to be one amazing day.