Monday, September 3, 2007

Shut Up, Stupid

I was so excited today because we were going to a friend's for dinner tonight, and she had asked us to bring a dessert. Well, after much consideration, I decided to make fresh apple fried pies. Even though it's a lot of work, I love making fried pies because the dough is my great grandmother's recipe, and it is ssssooooo good! This was going to be my first attempt, however, making the filling from scratch, but I was confident.

I got out my little sliding slicer, cored my apples, and began slicing. At one point, it began getting difficult to slice. It would just stop as I ran the hand held over the cutting device. I pushed a little to hard, and the next thing I knew, my thumb was bleeding profusely. I ran over to the sink and began running cold water over my thumb. I kept it under there forever, it seemed, but it would not stop bleeding. I finally got a couple of paper towels and began to hold pressure on it. After ten minutes, it was still bleeding. Of course, my medical man wasn't at home at the time, and if you know my husband well, you know he never leaves the house without his phone. I somehow managed to call his phone (have you ever tried to dial the phone while one hand is trying to hold pressure on the other hand?) and his phone starts ringing in the living room! Great....

So, I'm just sitting there holding my own hand. Finally, the car pulls up. He comes in immediately knows something's up because there are half-sliced apples in the slicer and I'm nowhere to be seen. I briefly fill him in, and he goes to work. I knew it wasn't bad enough to go get stitches or anything, but I just couldn't get it to stop bleeding. Finally, after he gets me all fixed up and everything, we go into the kitchen to clean up. I walk him through how it happened, and I figured out why the slicer kept getting stuck. I told him I felt really stupid for trying to force it.
Joking, he said, "Your not stupid.....stupid."
I said, "Oh, hush!"
Then at the same time we said, "Shut up, stupid!"

Thanks, Pastor!!!!
(It was a funny from Sunday's sermon.)

By the way, I took a picture of my thumb, but I didn't post it because I didn't want to gross anyone out. It's really not that bad, but it just seems that way when it's your thumb! :)

4 comments:

beautiful chaos said...

Did someone say, fried apple pies?
I'm in... just leave the chunks of your thumb out of it, ok?
I hope it heals quickly. Funny how the easiest things become a bother when your digits are hurt...

Meems said...

For some reason I keep visualizing a bunch of bloody apples.

Glad your thumb is alright.

If I wasn't so full from our memorial day family gathering, that apple pie would sound very appeasing I'm sure.

rhondamarie said...

meems had the same thought as me....blood on the apples w/a piece of thumb stuck in the slicer. i've had your fried pies and i was so sad that i couldn't have more. maybe you could make some for the womens retreat ;)

ree said...

Let me put your minds at ease, girls...there were no bloody apples! I was able to get to the sink before the real mess began! :)