Wednesday, October 19, 2011

This is SO not on the Menu!

I love to make fried pies.

My great grandmother had an amazing recipe for fried pie dough that she gave to my mom after she and my dad married. It was really a big deal at the time because she didn't give that recipe to ANYONE except my mom. Not even my Granny got it until later.

I haven't made them in a long time because of the diet, but I had an idea this week that I really wanted to try. Not because I wanted to eat them, but because I really love to cook for people! We are having home groups tomorrow night, so I thought I would try out my idea on them.

I love fall! It's my favorite time of year, and with the fall of temperatures this week what better way to introduce a new twist on a fall classic? I wanted to incorporate the classic sweet potato and marshmallow dish into a fried pie! I googled "sweet potato fried pie" to see if there was a recipe out there, and there was, but not what I had in mind.

I made the dough and while it was chilling in the fridge, I diced two large sweet potatoes and let them boil until fork tender then drained. I added 1/2 stick butter, about a cup of brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans, then mashed and mixed it all up. I separated the dough, rolled it out, put a spoonfull of the mixture in the middle, along with a large marshmallow split in two for even distribution, sealed it up, and fried it!

I'll be honest, Dan was skeptical about the idea, but he liked it a lot! I had about four bites of it and was pretty pleased with the outcome! Hope they like it at home groups!

No comments: