Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

I am thankful for...

...my Granddad Earl W. May who flew on B-52 bombers during World War II. As we were going thru his things after he passed away, we found his Army uniform with his original orders still folded in the inside pocket.
...my husband's PaPaw Clinton Elliott who was blinded in World War II when a Japanese plane purposely slammed into the USS Lexington on which he worked as a gunner and mechanic for the Navy.
...my dad L.D. Hinson who served as a military policeman in the Army in Germany during the mid 1960's.
...my dad's sister Colene Hillyard who served in the Army during the 1970's and 1980's. She broke her back in two places as well as her jaw while stationed in Germany.
...my dad's brother Roscoe Hinson who served in the Marines in the 1970's.
...my cousin Deric Lane who served as a cook in the Army in Korea when 9/11 took place.
...my cousin Beaux Lane who currently serves in Iraq.

What an amazing heritage I have. I am honored to call you family. I have this beautiful day off to honor all those who work this day to ensure the freedom to have this day off is protected. Thank you to all who have served and currently serve our country well.

No comments: