Friday, May 16, 2008

Something New!

I'm going to try something new!

We had taken my mother-in-law to a nursery for Mother's Day to pick out a grandkid, I mean a plant, and while we were there, I decided to get some tomato, squash, and zucchini plants!

While I was getting the area ready for planting, I was thinking about my grandparents who always had gardens. I remembered one year when my dad and I planted a garden in our backyard. It was a pretty good sized garden. We planted corn, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, and who knows what else.

We began putting this pink stuff on the ground (I think it was fertilizer), and Dad told me not to rub my eyes, nose, or put my hands in my mouth or anything like that after handling this pink stuff. We got it all finished, and as we are walking up to the back door, I realized I just rubbed my eyes with my hands.

Oh, my goodness, I'm going to die.

Did I go to my dad or mom and tell them that I thought I was going to die?

No.

I went to the bathroom and feverishly flushed my eyes with water, then proceeded to go to my bedroom and make sure that I knew that I knew that I knew I was right with Jesus.

And then...I wrote my will.

Because that's what you're supposed to do when you're about to die, right? In a twelve year old's mind that's what you're supposed to do, and it was hard trying to decide who was going to get my rock collection dusted with fool's gold from Colorado or the Trixie Belden mystery book collection. Really hard. And I think I was giving the book collection away out of turn because I think it was my sister's. It's hard to say. With two girls in the family, we shared a lot of things.

Anyway, we'll see how this garden-thing works out.

But I don't think I'll be using any pink fertilizer.

3 comments:

chronicler said...

I'm laughing...but you know...that will preach! Isn't that exactly what Adam and Eve did (or didn't)? Good luck with your garden!

rhondamarie said...

i have had the growing urge lately. it doesn't help that everytime i call my brother he tells me about his garden. i wished he lived closer and i would just do some weeding time for produce. those fresh tomatoes are gonna taste good!

kj said...

i just laughed so hard that i cried. seriously. i made michael mute the tv so i could read your blog to him, but as i got closer to the bottom, all i could do was cry and laugh. to top it off, i have like a weird cough/smoker sounding laugh right now. it was pretty ridiculous. thanks for sharing!