Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I needed this...maybe you could use it, too!

Yesterday morning was definitely a Monday morning. It seemed that no matter what I did, it was wrong or what I said, it came out wrong.

During my lunch, I was going through my work bag that has been sitting on the office floor under my desk since the first day I arrived here. I found a book that I had purchased at an airport bookstore on my way home from a business meeting. I went back few pages from where my bookmark was, and this is what I read:


"Why'd You Give Me This Rickety Ole Frame in the First Place?"

The Attitude of God's Grace

For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust. Psalm 103:14 NKJV


"Pardon the interruption, Lord, but I have a question. Being omnipotent and all powerful as You are, able to make impenetrable mountains and raging seas, can You please explain why you made me so weak and faulty? I try so hard to be good, and yet I make so many mistakes and fail for all the world to see. And the inside is even a bigger mess than the outside. I am as weak as dust scattered in the wind, as needy as a newborn. Any chance for a recall?"

"You want to question My design?"

"Uh, that's not what I meant..."

"You are exactly the way I made you to be. The earth and the sea have no need for Me. I breathed them strong and self-sufficient. Yes, you are fragile in comparison, but you have something they don't. You have a need for My soul. It's a need that you fight now and then; yet it is one that you cannot avoid. Yes, you are as weak as dust, but I made you that way so that you would need Me. My soul lives because of your need."

"But look at this dust all around me. I can't clean it up..."

"I know. Do I look worried? I have the only broom you'll ever need."

"Are You sure? I'm a big mess."

"I have a big broom."

Sure, God could have made us independent and stoic, but instead He made us imperfect and needy. With the entire universe at His disposal, He made us with a frame of dust. Yet this feeble frame can house His very soul and Spirit. That makes us better than perfect. That makes us loved.

Grab a Broom, Lord...There's Dust Everywhere!
The Imperfect Woman's Guide to God's Grace
Karen Phillips Goodman

No comments: