Saturday, November 1, 2008

Vacation was awesome....

...but I will never take vacation this close to the holidays again.

This close to the holidays? It was still October!!!

Yes, I know. But this week...the week I came back...we got double freight, which I thought was supposed to start next week. Surprise! We also have to set our floor with all of our Christmas signs and everything Sunday (tomorrow...sorry, I've lost track of the days..) so we've been trying to get as many moves done on the floor beforehand. This is difficult, though, when you are also trying to put out 275 cartons of unexpected freight.

Oh, and did I mention that one of my part-timers gave her notice while I was on vacation because her husband told her he didn't want her working the holidays? Then on the day I came back one of my other strong part-timers called and said she wouldn't be in for three weeks because she had to have a corrective surgery.

Don't get me wrong...I completely understand both of their situations and really like them...it's just made for a CA-RAZY week! Needless to say, I've also been doing interviews and checking references all week.

My district manager basically told me that she knew I needed to go on vacation last week, but it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. Great. Now next week when she goes to all the stores to make sure set up is complete, she's probably going to come to my store first. No pressure.

Since Sunday when we left San Angelo until the day the retreat starts, I will have no days off. This week I've been going in at 6 and staying until 5 (except for today...I go in at 1 and close).

I'm glad marme said we could wear our pj's all weekend at the retreat...

Sorry....just realized how whiney this sounds.

3 comments:

Sarah P. Henry said...

whine it up, girl. sounds like you deserve it. i was shopping today at penny's and old navy. penny's had a big door buster sale this morning, and people were taking advantage. all the stuff tried on and moved around and strewn about...i was just thankful i didn't work there. retail during the holidays? you are a saint! :)

i can't wait to see you at the retreat!

kdp said...

sounds like your transition deserves some whining. i know i have joined in the whining on many occasions.

but brighter day are ahead. they just have to be!

kablot spot said...

You should blog again soon. I miss you.